Friends & Neighbors:
Maryland's legislative session ended last week, so I wrote a summary of new laws we passed, including bills to provide paid family leave & dental care for those who need it most, ban sale of untraceable "ghost" guns, expand child care & more. Marijuana legalization will also be a question on the ballot this November (details below).
I was proud to vote YES on these & other justice efforts, so I hope for your vote as I seek re-election. Show support with a FREE "David Moon" sign or sticker:
NOTE: The Democratic Primary Election date has changed to Tuesday, July 19, 2022.
Thanks again for being engaged!
Delegate David Moon
P.S. College & Grad School Scholarships Available - The state makes scholarships available to residents of District 20 attending a Maryland school. Applications for 2022 are now open (due 5/15/22): Apply Online.
Important Bills That Passed in Maryland This Year
I was proud to vote YES on a few noteworthy bills this year. Here are some highlights:
- HEALTH CARE - I Voted to Provide Dental Care to Adults with Medicaid, Cap Insulin Costs, Stabilize Healthcare Premiums & Care for Pregnant Residents Regardless of Immigration Status (HB 6, SB 353, HB 413 & HB 1080).
- PAID FAMILY LEAVE - I Voted to Create a Program to Provide 12 Weeks Paid Leave to Care for Sick Family or 24 Weeks for New Children (SB 275).
- PEACE - I Voted to Divest Maryland's Pension Fund from Russia & for a Resolution in Solidarity with Ukraine (HB 1482 & HJ 8).
- GUN VIOLENCE - I Voted to Ban Sale/Possession of Untraceable Firearms (HB 425).
- CHILD CARE - I Voted for Over $100 Million to Support Child Care Staff, Facilities & Scholarships (HB 89, HB 1100, HB 993, HB 995, HB 725).
- MARIJUANA - I Voted to Legalize Cannabis Possession & Home Cultivation and Automatically Expunge Records (HB 1 & HB 837) - THIS REQUIRES VOTER APPROVAL AT THE NOVEMBER 8 GENERAL ELECTION.
- CLIMATE CHANGE - I Voted to Speed Up Reduction of Maryland Carbon Emissions to 60% by 2031 & to Zero Out By 2045 (SB 528).
- COLLEGE TUITION - I Voted for $112 Million a Year for College Scholarships to Students from Families with Low & Moderate Incomes (HB 734) & 20% Increase in Higher Education Spending (Annual Budget).
- REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS - I Voted to Expand Insurance Coverage & Access to Reproductive Services In the Wake of Recent Attacks by Courts (HB 937)
- RENTERS - I Voted for Legal Aid for Tenants, Compliance with Laws for Landlords Seeking to Evict & Pauses for Tenants Seeking Grants (HB 571, HB 174, HB 932).
- SCHOOLS - I Voted for Planning to Ensure Adequate School Bus Drivers, Smoother Transition to Virtual Learning, Bonuses to Retain Support Staff (HB 753, HB 1163, HB 1349) & Historic $8 Billion Public School Funding (Annual Budget).
- RETIREES - I Voted for a $1K Credit for Retirees Making Under $100K (HB 1468).
- ROAD SAFETY & DRAG RACING - I Voted to Require Review of Roads or Intersections Where People Walking/Biking Are Killed & to Impound Cars Used in Drag Race Gatherings (HB 254 & SB 612).
- SILVER SPRING & PURPLE LINE BUSINESS DISTRICTS - I Voted to Give Small & Minority-Owned Businesses Greater Representation in Downtown Silver Spring and Support for Businesses Impacted by Purple Line Construction (HB 1340 & SB 191).
A Few Of My Bills Passed - Here's What They Do
- Double Pay for Jury Duty (HB 208) - We passed legislation I introduced with Sen. Jill Carter to increase jury pay from $15 to $30/day (the same as Virginia & DC).
- Stop Arresting Residents for Debts Under $5000 (HB 349) - We voted to end the practice of arresting people for small claims cases with under $5000 in dispute. Right now, creditors can put a lien on your body to force your arrest. I introduced this with Sen. Will Smith, who has been working on this for years with Attorney General Brian Frosh.
- Use Data to Improve Safety at School Bus Stops (HB 813) - We passed legislation I introduced to require school bus fine data to trigger additional safety measures & reduce solutions built solely on fines.
- Ban Sexism & Racism In Compensation for Injuries (HB 244) - We approved legislation I worked on with Sen. Ron Watson to stop letting those who injure others pay women & minorities less, on the basis that they tend to earn less.
- Fund Animal Shelters During Cruelty & Hoarding Cases (HB 1062) - We passed legislation I introduced with Sen. Jeff Waldstreicher to compensate humane agencies for animal care during lengthy cruelty & neglect cases, often involving hoarding with dozens of animals.
- Decriminalize Minor Drivers License Offenses (HB 206) - We passed legislation I introduced with Sen. Jill Carter to repeal yet another law subjecting drivers to arrest over petty license violations. We've steadily deleted jail penalties on a range of driving offenses unworthy of incarceration.
- School Discipline Reporting & Right to Attorney (HB 146) - We passed legislation I worked on with Del. Vanessa Atterbeary to report on how schools handle offenses committed by students & to ensure those facing discipline have the right to an attorney. This legislation results from concerns about the handling of some special education students.
Recent News Coverage of My Work
My 100% Environmental Voting Record: I voted for the environment 100% of the time. I'm proud to have a perfect score with Maryland League of Conservation Voters:
By Authority: Friends of David Moon. Chair: Marlana Valdez. Treasurer: Nathaniel Giddings.