For our side-event, the delegation was advised to consider and touch on issues that affect the disability sector on a global level, rather than a local Australian level. For other delegates from around the world, we are focusing in a general and uncomplicated way on the blocks and barriers that people with disability experience in becoming leaders. Our presentations will span about 3-4 minutes each.
A major focus of our meeting was discussion about the issues we will each cover in our presentations. During this discussion, the delegates each spoke of the barriers and opportunities that hinder youth from becoming more involved in the disability rights movement.
Brainstorming ideas covered included:
- personal assumptions of young persons with disability,
- vulnerability of women with disability,
- rural and remote access to support and services,
- generational gaps between older and younger people with disability in advocacy roles,
- the right to make our own decisions in life and to take risks, and
- innovation, inclusion and cultural integration of people with disability.
Each delegate will draft points based on this discussion, and finalise our presentations over the next few days.
Australian NGO Youth Delegation to COSP
If you want to receive these emails as text-only with no graphics or images at all, please email email@example.com
or call on one of the numbers listed below and speak to the Communications Manager.