Issue #3 - 02/13
Hello from RWT Farm!
I know it's been a LOOONG time since the last newsletter, but we are back in the saddle and I promise to keep up to date on a much more regular basis! We thank you for supporting this start-up. Your moral support has helped us in more ways than you could ever know.
Again, I apologize in advance for it being so long winded, but there are a LOT of things to get caught up on. Hopefully, after this one, we will be able to keep more up to date on all the happenings here and with you and with what's happening in the world regarding GMOs, Organics & the world's food supply.
We hope you are as excited as we are about what's happening now and what's coming up. So sit back and enjoy a good read...
As some of you may notice, I am going to repeat a couple of things just because it's been so long since the last newsletter.
1. We now accept Canadian Tire Money at par. So if you have a roll of the stuff sitting in a drawer somewhere, why not trade it in for some healthy, organic eats?!?
2. By popular demand, we now have a page on the website that lists what is currently available from the farm.Check it out Here! Just email us your order and we will get back to you within 24 hours with details of how/where to get your items.
3. We have now switched to completely certified Non-GMO feeds and our eggs are now 100% organic! What does this mean to you? Not much other than healthier foods. Our eggs are now up to $4.00/dozen though, as the organic feed is astronomically expensive. All else stays the same though.
4. Are you too far away to benefit from our Local Produce? You can still support us! Check out our new Swag Page and pick up something with our Logo on it! You will be supporting our efforts at feeding our community with Local, Healthy & Affordable Organic Food.
5. Got a friend who needs to eat healthy? We now offer Gift Certificates! Good for ANYTHING that we have! Know somebody who lives on Ramen Noodles or Kraft Dinner? Give them the gift of Organic Food. Check the website for details.
6. Just yesterday, I tapped the trees for only the second time ever. We are hoping for a good yeild of Maple Syrup this year, as last year was a bust due to the odd spring weather. If you are interested in this unique treat, please contact us.
7. Again...Due to literally MASSIVE interest in our organic, free-range eggs we are more than doubling the flock next month. (again). Please remember there is a huge difference between 'free-run' and free-range' eggs/chicken. ALL of ours are 'Free-Range'. Please contact me if you would like any clarification on this controversial subject. So, we are looking forward to being able to fulfill all the requests for eggs within the next couple of months.
7b. We are also hoping to build an egg grading station and aquire the subsequent government license that goes with it. Please stay tuned for our upcoming Crowd Funding Project that will address this and many other projects here on the farm.
8. Are you interested in a Permaculture/Urban Agriculture/Frugality/DIY/Health style Podcast? Let us know! We would like to launch a Podcast dealing with local food, self-sufficiency, health, etc. in 2013. Send us your thoughts HERE9. Thanks to all for purchasing our frozen veg over the winter. It was unexpected, but a valuable lesson learned! We will be stocking the freezers for next year!
10. Plans for 2013 - Watch for our Crowd Funding Initiative and donate to help us acheive a dairy cow, bees, 4-season greenhouse and most importantly, an education centre to teach people of all ages where their food comes from and the methods that are disappearing, to harvest, store & prepare them as well as methods for lowering our carbon footprint on the planet. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!
12. We have now initiated an organic mushroom grow operation that features Shiitake, Crimini, King Oyster, White Oyster & Reishi mushrooms here on the farm. We anticipate a full year of trial and error with this endeavour before full on production, but in the mean time, we hope to be able to offer a limited number of mushrooms starting as soon as April. So if you are interested, please contact us and we will put you on the short list for what is available.
13. Last, but not least - We want to thank all that bought Gift Certificates in 2012. Your support has been very appreciated and we hope that more will benefit from REAL food in 2013.
So that's what's been happening so far here at RWT Farm....
This is what's in the works for the near future:
· Yes, the RWT Cookbook has been in the works for over a year. *sigh* There are only so many hours in the day, so hopefully 2013 will allow it to become a reality. Any thoughts/comments/ideas on the project would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading and thanks for signing up for the Newsletter!
Buy Natural, Buy Local… Good Health to You!
Dave & Sharon Alexander
Roots, Wings & Things Organic Micro-Farm