The following surveys are now available:
- Participating School Survey
- Applicant Survey
- Prospective School Survey
Your input has been invaluable during the first cycle of NursingCAS. If you could please complete the Participating School Survey by August 31, 2011
we would appreciate it.
We plan to survey
applicants as well. Please feel free to distribute this survey to your applicants. If you have surveyed your applicants individually and would like to share those results with NursingCAS or other participating schools please let us know.
In addition we plan to survey
schools who are not yet participating. If you would like to share this survey with your colleagues at other institutions who have not yet joined NursingCAS, please feel free to do so.
NursingCAS will distribute a monthly newsletter beginning on August 15, coinciding with the NursingCAS cycle 2 launch that will keep you updated and informed. You can look for this newsletter in your inbox around the 15th of each month.
NursingCAS would like to start publishing program information pages on www.nursingcas.org
that an applicant can review to obtain information regarding your nursing program's supplemental requirements, pre-requisites, and other details. This will be structured similar to what other centralized application services provide for its applicants. View an example here
. Stay tuned for more information and let us know if you have any suggestions.
Do you have any other suggestions on how www.nursingcas.org
could be improved? Please let us know.
There is a scholarship opportunity that NursingCAS applicants can apply to for $5,000, view more details here
NursingCAS is now on Facebook, we will use this as an additional outlet to communicate with prospective students and applicants. Follow NursingCAS on Facebook
Are you part of a nursing education consortium, a nursing dean’s group or similar organization? If so, would your group be interested in learning more about NursingCAS? Please contact us and we would appreciate the opportunity to present to your group.
Important Updates and News
We are pleased to announce the enhancements for cycle/year 2 of NursingCAS. Please note, the NursingCAS application will be down from August 1-August 15 in order to implement these important updates. Your feedback during the first year of NursingCAS was extremely valuable and helped us to shape the application in response to your needs.
Please review the information in this newsletter, topics covered:
- Cycle/Year 2 Enhancements
- Housekeeping Items
- WebAdMIT News
- Cycle/Year 1 Data Reports
- Training Webinars for Cycle/Year 2
- CAS-ERP Data Integration Forum
- New Data Dictionary Available
- Application Closure
Enhancements for Nursing Cycle/Year 2
Please note the following NursingCAS application enhancements that will go into effect beginning August 15:
- Continuous Academic Update: Applicants will have the ability to send updated transcripts and have their GPAs recalculated by the CAS verification team.
- Re-Applicant Feature: Complete and verified applicants for the 2010-11 cycle will have the ability to carry over their application data and official transcripts into the 2011-12 cycle.
- In Progress Applicant View: Nursing programs will have the ability to view contact and designation information for applicants (who authorize release of this information) before they e-submit their application.
- Undelivered Applicants: Users will be able to see basic contact information for applicants that have been undelivered by NursingCAS.
- Résumé/CV Upload: Applicants will have the ability to upload one résumé/CV.
- School Specific Personal Statement: Applicants will have the ability to tailor their personal statement to school specific designations.
- Additional Information: Generic field added that will allow applicants to enter in state or school specific identification numbers.
- Reference Request Comments: Ability for applicants to enter in comments to be sent to reference writers.
- Application PDF Update: The addition of track names to the Applied Programs section on the full application PDF.
- New Scanning System: An enhanced document scanning system has been implemented and will improve the processing time and image quality of all processed documents. In comparison with the previous scanning system, it processed on average 10,000 documents per week (7 days) on 7 work stations. The new system processes on average 10,000 documents every three days on 2 work stations.
A number of enhancements have been implemented for WebAdMIT, beginning on August 31. Please note the updates for WebAdMIT need to be spaced out from the NursingCAS Application updates in order to maintain the integrity of the system:
- Settings Transfer: When you first log into WebAdMIT for cycle 2, users with the “Configure Software” right will have the ability to pull their users, local statuses, custom fields, email templates, email addresses and assignment types forward from the previous cycle. Please note, for security reasons, all users that are transferred in this manner will be made “inactive” and will need to be activated before they can access the system.
- Prerequisite GPAs: For ease of use, Prerequisite GPA calculations have been split apart from Requirements, allowing users to manage each of these items separately.
- Additional Rights: “Add Notes” has been added as a new right for users, which allows program directors to give users the ability to make notes on applicant files without giving them the ability to mark requirements or test results as complete.
- Assignments: WebAdMIT has expanded the functionality available in the “Assignments” module. Reviewers can now score and comment on the applicants that they review.
- Interviewing Applicants: WebAdMIT now offers the ability to track interview dates, times, locations, and interviewers. Interviewers have the ability to score and comment on applicants. To set up interviews, navigate to “Interviews” under the “Management” menu.
- Custom Fields: Users now have the ability to change the sequence in which their custom fields are displayed.
- Configuring WebAdMIT by Program: For sites with more than one program, Prerequisite GPAs, Local GPAs, Local Statuses, Requirements, Email Settings, and Email Addresses can now be set on a per-program basis.
- Search Assignments: A new search tool that allows users to search review assignments has been added under the “Applicants” menu.
- Additional On-Screen Help: All configuration screens in WebAdMIT now offer on-screen tips. These helpful hints are at viewable on the right hand side of each window. In addition, a number of panels on the dashboard and search screen offer explanatory hover text.
- Education Panel: All applicants now have an “Education Panel” available that allows them to see an applicant’s undergraduate and graduate schools attended in a single location.
- Coursework Report: Users can now export detailed coursework from a list of applicants as a .CSV file. This file can either be reviewed in Microsoft Excel or may be able to be used with other university systems.
- Applicant Scoring: Users can assign point values to an applicant’s academic performance.These point values can be combined with review and interview scores to rate each applicant numerically.
- Update Log: The system will provide a section by section listing of changes made in the applicant portal (such as new coursework, the arrival of letters of recommendation, etc) for each applicant.
- Applicant Pool Reports: A series of standardized, applicant pool reports are now available in the “Reports Manager” allowing schools to see a snapshot of their school’s applicant pool.
If your school is currently live on the NursingCAS application portal
, please take a moment to review your school’s listing. If your school is not live on NursingCAS and you have not set a "go live" date yet please contact Caroline Allen, NursingCAS Manager, at 202-463-6930 X258 or email@example.com
for assistance and to initiate this process.
Do you need to update a link, add programs, change deadlines, or make any other updates? In addition, has there been any staff changes and do you need to add a new administrator for your school? If so, please let Caroline
Have you completed training with WebAdMIT? Do you want additional training for current or new staff on WebAdMIT? If so, please email or call the WebAdMIT Support team to schedule training sessions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cycle/Year 1 Data Reports
Cycle/Year 1 reports will be available on September 1. You will be able to access these reports in WebAdMIT in the "Report Manager" area. More details will become available in August about the reports and how to access them. You will be able to view school specific data and comparision data from all of the participating schools in NursingCAS.
Training Webinars for Cycle/Year 2
Many new features have been added to WebAdMIT for cycle/year 2 and we want to ensure that you are aware of and know how to use the new functionality so we plan to offer training Webinars in September and October. Dates will be announced in August. Additionally, this Webinar will review the Report Manager and how to access and use your cycle/year 1 data reports.
CAS-ERP Data Integration Forum Established
A CAS-ERP Data Integration Forum has been developed, to support the IT staff at your institution. The forum serves as a hub of information for institution IT departments as well as a platform for CAS to share information and to discuss data integration related matters. The forum currently has six categories as follows:
- Other Systems
- CAS General
Each category is moderated by a member (or members) of the Advisory Committee who are available to answer questions and help your institution access, integrate, and sort CAS data.
The forum currently has a number of important sections and functions that may be of interest to you:
- Documents Section:
- Minutes from the most recent Data Integration Committee Meeting
- Data Dictionaries from each of the CAS for downloading
- CAS Launch Date Schedules
- Master College Code List
- Calendar Section: The calendar lists all of the CAS launch dates
- New Topic Function: As a registered user of the forum, you are encouraged to start new discussion topics within each of the categories. New posts are automatically forwarded to the moderator of the category to notify them of your post.
We look forward to having you join us on the forum, and if you have any questions about logging in, or registering, please do not hesitate to contact Jérôme Giudicelli at email@example.com
New Data Dictionary Available
The WebAdMIT Draft Custom Export Layout for NursingCAS is now available for the 2011-2012 application cycle. This document describes all of the fields available for export from WebAdMIT in NursingCAS. It has been attached to this email for your reference.
When WebAdMIT is made available on August 31, 2011 for the 2011-2012 NursingCAS application cycle, an email will be sent to the primary contact for your program containing the new URL and login instructions.
If you have any questions about the Custom Export Layout or WebAdMIT, please contact the WebAdMIT Support team at 716.636.7777, option 7 or via email
In addition, a new WebAdMIT User Guide will be posted on-line at the end of August. For now you can access the WebAdMIT Guide here
. The link to log into the WebAdMIT portal will also be new for cycle 2 and once both of these items are available an announcement will go out with the links.
Important Information about the NursingCAS Closure: 8/1 - 8/15
NursingCAS is fast approaching the close of its first application cycle. NursingCAS, to date, has processed just under 10,000 unique applications to schools nationwide. The centralized application has been a great success and many thanks are owed to you in making this happen. In response to user requests, NursingCAS will be implementing a series of new features into the application and to WebAdMIT to improve the overall experience. The implementation of these updates requires the application to close August 1 - August 15, 2011.
Points of emphasis for your applicants during this closure:
- Applicants will not be able to create a new application
- Applicants will not be able to select and submit additional designations
- Applicants who have submitted and paid will be able to access their application and submit missing transcripts
- Only applicants who have submitted and paid by August 1 will have the ability to carry over application data into the new application cycle
- In progress applicants from cycle 1 will not be able to carry over application data in cycle 2. They will need to create a new account and re-enter in their applicant data if they plan to apply during cycle 2 (after August 15) and have not submitted and paid before August 1
Points of emphasis for you the admissions user during this closure:
- WebAdMIT will not close and will remain fully functionally during the closure
- During this closure NursingCAS will continue to process and verify documents, as well as calculate GPAs and send completed applications to designated programs
- Since designations are tied to a specific application cycle and cycle 1 of NursingCAS ends on August 1, 2011 all designations from cycle 1 will be switched to a deadline of August 1, 2011
- However, designations will be set back to the original deadline upon the reopening of the application on August 15 for cycle 2 (this is especially important for programs with deadlines after August 1, 2011)
- NursingCAS will not be open to new application accounts and the selection of new designations from August 1 to August 15, 2011. To apply for the 2011-2012 Application Cycle, you must e-submit your application by August 1, 2011 or you will be required to create a new application on August 15. Please note if you e-submitted your application prior to August 1st, you will have access to your application and will be able to submit missing transcripts during this period as NursingCAS will continue to calculate GPAs and send completed applications to designated programs during this time. If you're an applicant with verified coursework (GPAs calculated) in the 2010-2011 cycle you will have the opportunity to update your application and reapply in the new 2011-2012 application cycle.
- The NursingCAS Application will be closed on August 1, 2011 and will reopen on August 15, 2011. This closure will affect you. If you started your application but have not yet e-submitted and paid because the program(s) you plan to apply to have a deadline after August 1, 2011 please note that you will not be able to carry over your applicant data and information unless you pay and submit your application by August 1, 2011. Otherwise, after August 15, you will need to create a new account and enter in your application data and information again. Please contact NursingCAS Customer Service with any questions at (617) 612–2880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The NursingCAS Application will be closed on August 1 - August 15, 2011, for site maintenance. This closure will affect you, specifically if you have started your application but have not yet e-submitted and paid because the program you plan to apply to has a deadline after August 1. Please note, in order to carry over your applicant data and information into the next cycle of NursingCAS you must submit your application by August 1. Otherwise, after August 15, you will need to create a new account and enter in your application data and information again. So we recommend that you do submit your NursingCAS application by August 1 if you want carry over your information and after August 15, you will be able to log back in and update your application accordingly, i.e. add additional coursework, send in transcripts and you will not have to re-enter your applicant data or pay an additional fee unless you select another designation. Please contact NursingCAS Support with any questions at 617-612-2880 or email@example.com.
If you have a program deadline after August 1, 2011, then we encourage you to post the following message or similar message on your Web site and use when in contact prospective applicants:
- The NursingCAS Application will be closed on August 1, 2011 and will reopen on August 15, 2011. This closure will affect you. If you started your application but have not yet e-submitted and paid because the program you plan to apply to has a deadline after August 1, 2011 please note that you will not be able to carry over your applicant data and information unless you submit your application by August 1, 2011. Otherwise, after August 15, you will need to create a new account and enter in your application data and information again. So we recommend that you do submit your NursingCAS application by August 1 and after August 15, you will be able to log back in and update your application accordingly, i.e. add additional coursework, send in transcripts and will not have to re-enter your applicant data or pay an additional fee unless you select another designation. If you have not yet started your NursingCAS application then you should wait until after the application re-opens on August 15, 2011 to do so.
If you have any questions about the application closure please contact Caroline Allen, the NursingCAS Manager, directly at 202-463-6930 X258 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your continued support of NursingCAS.