Students who previously applied through NursingCAS:
Applicants who were verified between August 15, 2011 and April 1, 2013 who wish to carry over their application data to the 2013 - 2014 application will be able to do so on April 15, 2013 by clicking on the "Re-Apply" Button on the application homepage. Once they click on "Re-Apply" they will be prompted to enter in their previous user name and password or their e-mail address that was affiliated with their NursingCAS application. Students who will be using NursingCAS for the first time: On April 15, applicants who are new to NursingCAS should click on the "Create Account" button in order to initiate an account. Then applicants can start to complete their application and will be able to choose your program(s) to apply to that have deadlines between June 1, 2013 and April 2014 (or rolling).
Note: If your school has a program with a May 2013 deadline (or a June or July deadline that is already posted on the currently application - this is only a few schools) then you should advise applicants on April 15 to use the link on the application log-in page that directs them to the 2012 - 2013 application so they can access your programs that are posted on the old application.
NursingCAS 101 Webinar: April 15, 2013
We encourage your prospective students, applicants, and staff to attend a "NursingCAS 101" Webinar on April 15. These Webinar will educate applicants who have previously applied through the service and applicants who are using NursingCAS for the first time on how to complete their application, highlight new functionality, and give tips on how to successfully complete their application. Both sessions will allow attendees to ask questions throughout the presentation. Feel free to share the Webinar links with your applicants, post on your Web site, etc. And we will be sending out a blast email to current applicants in the system as well to notify them of the upcoming Webinars.
Save the Date: Friday, June 14
Join Us for an Open House and Enrollment Management Workshop from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM in Boston, MA at NursingCAS Headquarters.
This free workshop and open house is for all NursingCAS and WebAdMIT users including; deans, admissions staff, faculty, IT staff, recruiters, advisors, registrars and other decisions makers involved in the nursing admissions process.
This event is a chance for you to find out more about how others have implemented, leveraged, benefited from, and use the service at their school. Sessions will feature content for prospective, beginner, and advanced users of NursingCAS. View a flyer
about the event. Click here
for more details and to register for this free workshop. Hotel accommodations are available at a negotiated rate of $239/night at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge
in beautiful and historic Cambridge, MA outside of Boston.
If you have questions or concerns about this announcement or the closure of the 2012 – 2013 cycle and the launch of the 2013 – 2014 cycle please contact Caroline
or Tania Zavarelli
(617-612-2058) the NursingCAS Director based at Liaison International.
And if you have specific questions about WebAdMIT please contact the WebAdMIT Support Team at 716-636-7777, option 7 or via email
ATTENTION: The 2012 - 2013 (current) Application Cycle Closes Permanently on July 1, 2013. Program Deadlines (this includes deadline extensions) of June 1, 2013 through April 2014 SHOULD NOT be posted on the Current Application. You will be able to post deadlines and extensions of June 1, 2013 - April 2014 on the 2013 - 2014 Application Cycle when it opens on April 15.
Note: there are a few schools who have deadlines in June and on July 1 that we have granted exceptions to due to extenuating circumstances that are posted on the current 2012 - 2013 application. All other schools should post any programs with deadlines that fall between June 1, 2013 - April 2014 on the 2013 - 2014 application. Please see the "Collecting Your Program Information" article below for how to post your programs on the application that is opening on April 15.
|Preparation for the Cycle Opening: We Need Your Information & Help by 3/29
First, we must confirm your school rules by March 29
The 2013 - 2014 application will be able to enforce rules on behalf of the school regarding requirements:
1.) Number of references needed to submit to a school
2.) If a personal statement is required to submit to a school (and how many)
3.) Number of tracks an applicant can select for that school
In order to collect your school-specific rules to program into the application please complete this short "School Rules" form by March 29
regarding your requirements for personal statements, references, and number of designations an applicant is allowed to submit for your school. Thank you in advance!
Second, collecting your program information to be posted on the 2013 - 2014 application
The WebAdMIT Program Tool was released in September 2012. Schools can use the Program Tool to add new programs (designations) to the application, deactivate programs, and extend program deadlines via their WebAdMIT Portal. In order to post your programs on the 2013 – 2014 application that is opening on April 15, you have two options:
Complete this “Programs to be Posted” form by March 29
and we will preload your programs so they automatically open and display to applicants on April 15 when the 2013 – 2014 application cycle opens or
You can wait until April 15 and use your new 2013 – 2014 WebAdMIT Portal and add your programs in yourself manually by using the Program Tool (note you will have to wait until April 15 to load your programs in, do not use the current 2012 - 2013 WebAdMIT portal to load your programs) or complete this form
and we will load them for you
If you have any questions about this or prefer to email Caroline your information then please do so at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call her for assistance at 202-463-6930 x258.
Additionally, we would like to post more information about your school and admissions requirements on www.nursingcas.org (similar to www.ptcas.org). We encourage all schools to complete this "Participating School Information" form
by April 15 so we can display additional information to students that visit www.nursingcas.org in order to better inform your applicants about your school's specific requirements for your application process. Note, the first page of the form is for internal use only in order to better understand how currently participating schools are using NursingCAS so we can connect users, share best practices, and provide additional training and Webinars.
If you allow students to apply to programs that have specific pre-requisite coursework requirements via NursingCAS then we would like to display that information as well on www.nursingcas.org. In order for us to collect that information from you please complete this "Pre-requisite Grid" form
by April 15, 2013. Only complete the grid for those programs that have pre-requisite coursework requirements, leave it blank for any program(s) that don't have pre-requisite coursework requirements.
Speaking of coursework, if you have applicants who complain about coursework entry there is an option for them to use the Coursework Entry Service
for an additional fee and NursingCAS will enter in the coursework on behalf of the applicant. You can share this instructional video
as well, and a pop-up message will display to applicants on the 2013 - 2014 applicant that explains why the coursework section is required.
|Summary of Enhancements to be Released on April 15
- School-specific rules for that will enforce the number of reference(s), personal statement(s), and maximum number of designations required to submit an application to your school
- Improved licensure and certification fields
- Upload up to 5 documents
- Attach as many essays as need for each schools
- A cart that indicates pending designations
- Applicant managed email preferences
- Ability for applicants to self-report their GRE, HESI, and TEAS scores
- Email notification to applicants to let them know they've been verified
- Submit up to 6 letters of reference (electronic only now)
- Updated questions
- Email In Progress Function
- Enhanced applicant update tracking
- Processed checkbox for applicant updates section
- Enhanced requirements
- Enhanced assignments
- Enhanced interviews (separation of date and time)
- Last 60 Hours GPA calculations
- Allow to search on multiple items within one variable
- Manual designations
- Sort Lists in the List Manager
- Sort Exports in the Export Manager
Join a "What's New in NursingCAS & WebAdMIT for 2013 - 2014" Webinar to See a Full Demonstration & Explanation of the New Enhancements:
If those dates don't work for you, we will schedule an individual demonstration for you at your convenience. Email Caroline Allen, email@example.com to schedule it.
Q&A on the Opening of the 2013 - 2014 Application Cycle
Q: What happens on April 15?
Both the 2012 - 2013 (current application cycle) and the 2013 - 2014 (new application cycle) will be open simultaneously.
- The NursingCAS application portal (http://portal.nursingcas.org) will point to the 2013 - 2014 NursingCAS application which will display programs with deadlines between June 1, 2013 - April 2014 (with the exception of those schools that are already live on the 2012 - 2013, current, application with 6/1 or later deadlines)
- A message will be posted on the application login page that directs applicants who are trying to finish a 2012 - 2013 application for schools with May 2013 deadlines or exceptions for June & July deadlines (a list of programs will be posted), and there will be a link that says "Click Here" that will bring applicants to the NursingCAS 2012 – 2013 application portal
- Any applicant who was verified between August 15, 2011 and April 1, 2013 will be immediately eligible to be a re-applicant in the 2013 – 2014 cycle when it opens on April 15. Refer to the FAQs below for more details on re-applicants. And refer to the "Advising Applicants" article
Q: When does the 2012 - 2013 Application Cycle Close?
A: On July 1, 2013
- Once verification is complete and the current (2012 – 2013) cycle closes out, all verified applicants from this cycle who applied between April 15, 2013 – July 1, 2013 will be eligible to be a re-applicant in the 2013 – 2014 application cycle starting on July 15, 2013
- This ensures that all verified applicants from the current cycle of NursingCAS (2012 – 2013) are eligible to be re-applicants in the 2013 – 2014 cycle
- To clarify, the first round of archiving for re-applicants will happen on April 1, 2013, and the second round of archiving for re-applicants will happen on July 15, 2013
Q: How will this impact my WebAdMIT Portal?
A: On April 15, you will be able to log into your new, 2013 - 2014 WebAdMIT portal. The WebAdMIT Support Team will send you an email with log-in information.
Q: How will this impact my export?
- You will continue to have access to your 2012 - 2013 WebAdMIT portal during the 2013 – 2014 cycle. In your 2012 – 2013 WebAdMIT portal, you will have access to any applicants who applied via the current application cycle
- Schools can transfer most of their past WebAdMIT settings (including past users) into their new cycle’s WebAdMIT portal
- The draft data dictionary for 2013 – 2014 is available now, contact WebAdMIT Support for a copy at 716-636-7777, option 7 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
As in the past, exports may change based on changes to the data dictionary, including the addition, removal, or editing of fields and field names. The WebAdMIT Support Team is dedicated to making sure this transition is smooth and is available to help guide you through that process. Please do not hesitate to reach out to them via telephone at 716-636-7777, option 7 or via email at email@example.com
Q: Will I have access to reports from past application cycles in WebAdMIT?
Q: Who can be a re-applicant?
A: A student is eligible to be a re-applicant if they are verified, meaning they have e-submitted their application by April 1, 2013, two weeks prior to the launch of the 2013 – 2014 cycle, and all of their official transcripts have been received in time for NursingCAS to verify their information and calculate GPAs. Any verified applicants who applied between August 15, 2011 and April 1, 2013 will be eligible to be an immediate re-applicant to the 2013 – 2014 cycle when it launches on April 15, 2013. Any verified applicant who applies to a program posted on the 2012 – 2013 application after April 1, 2013 will be eligible to be a re-applicant on July 15, 2013 after the second round of archiving occurs. By doing two rounds of archiving, we will ensure the most number of applicants are eligible to be re-applicants in the 2013 – 2014 cycle and no verified applicants get stuck between cycles.
Q: What does it mean to be “verified”?
Applicants must e-submit their application, submit their payment, all
official transcripts must be received, and the course work and schools attended sections must be completed and accurate in order to be "verified". Click here
to view more information on verification or view a short video
Q: What does it mean to be a re-applicant?
A: Generally everything on the application is carried over for re-applicants except for references (most applicants and schools would rather they get new references each cycle) and personal statements (most schools encourage applicants to write new ones each year they apply). To clarify:
- Re-applicants can import their information from the previous cycle.
- Most application fields and verified transcripts (transcripts containing course work calculated into the GPA by NursingCAS will be imported into the new application).
- All verified course work entered in by the applicant will carry over. Note any “in progress” course work will not be carried over.
- Personal Statements are not carried over, and NursingCAS strongly advises applicants to compose new personal statements in the next cycle if they are a re-applicant.
- Letters of reference, payments, and unverified transcripts will not be carried over and must be re-submitted in the next cycle.
Q: Do re-applicants pay a fee to designate, e-submit, and apply to a program posted in the 2013 – 2014 application cycle?
A: Yes, re-applicants and any new applicants who e-submit during the 2013 – 2014 cycle (after April 15, 2013) will pay the NursingCAS fee. Undergraduate fees are $45 for the first school the student applies to, and $30 for each additional school the student applies to. Graduate fees are $65 for the first school the student applies to, and $35 for each additional school the applicant applies to. If the applicant applies to the same school within the same cycle (so in this case between April 15, 2013 and April 15, 2014), they do not pay an additional fee.
Q: What happens if an applicant doesn’t e-submit their application by April 1, 2013?
A: If an applicant doesn’t e-submit their application by April 1, 2013, then it is possible that they will not be verified in time for the launch of the 2013 – 2014 application cycle on April 15, 2013, meaning they will not be eligible to be an immediate re-applicant for the new cycle. However, if they are verified between April 15, 2013 and July 1, 2013, they will be included in the second round of archiving that will take place in mid-July and will be able to be a reapplicant to the 2013 – 2014 application cycle any time after July 15, 2013.
Q: How does the re-applicant process work internally at NursingCAS?
A: In order to maintain the integrity of the applicant data, the archiving of information that needs to be carried over for verified applicants to be a re-applicant in the new cycle takes two weeks. Prior to a launch of a new cycle, the verified applicant database is saved in an archive process and then NursingCAS staff re-maps the applicant database to the new cycle, cleans up the data, and does testing to ensure that there are no issues..
Q: Why do only “verified” applicants get archived and carried over for re-applicant status?
A: In the past, Liaison International (AACN's technology partner for NursingCAS) has attempted to bring over all applicants (not just verified) to a new cycle, and it created a wide variety of data issues. Bringing over all applicants was problematic because the main benefit of carrying over an applicant’s course work and academic history from the previous cycle is so that they do not have to re-enter it and go through the verification process again. The process of matching academic records is complex and sensitive. To allow for the re-applicant process, Liaison needs to lock everything from the last cycle that is “known good”. If applicants in an incomplete state are carried over (i.e., those individuals who put in course work, but Liaison received only some transcripts or Liaison never completed the verification process because there were problems with the application), the rules that are part of Liaison’s re-applicant processes cannot be applied, and Liaison cannot properly match transcripts to course work as they do not know what is good and what is not.
|*Applicants must be verified in order to be eligible to be a re-applicant. Applicants who are verified have e-submitted their application, all of their official transcripts have been received, their education history and course work data has been verified as accurate, and a number of GPAs have been calculated on their behalf by NursingCAS.
Note: Any verified applicants who applied between August 15, 2011 and April 1, 2013 will be eligible to be an immediate re-applicant to the 2013 – 2014 cycle when it launches on April 15, 2013. Any verified applicant who applies to a program posted on the 2012 – 2013 application after April 1, 2013 will be eligible to be a re-applicant on July 15, 2013 after the second round of archiving occurs and the 2012 - 2013 cycle of NursingCAS is shut down.