|Fall is here!
I hope you've had a wonderful autumn.
I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the trees change color fron green to gold, brown and fiery red. Speaking of red, I've noticed my skin beoming chapped and itchy, thanks to the colder and drier weather, but help is here! Soapwalla has all sorts of treats to help you ease into the colder months. If all you need is a nice quiet half-hour in the tub, we can help you there too. (Or should I say "I"? Soapwalla is just me, after all, cooking up a skin-care storm in my Brooklyn kitchen.) Below you'll find updates on Soapwalla’s commitment to community, a recipe to get you through the crazy holiday season, and news about what I'm brewing up in the next month.
Visit the Soapwalla Etsy page
to purchase a treat for yourself or a loved one, create a customized gift package, and to check for special promotions.
It’s Soapwalla's SECOND birthday (I seriously can't believe it) and Thanksgiving season -- a time for reflection, gratitude, memory-making, and compassion. Because last November's fundraiser was such a success, I'm doing it again, but with a twist.
This birthday and holiday season Soapwalla is celebrating in style by adopting a flock
of Farm Sanctuary turkeys
! I will also donate TEN
percent of your purchase of Soapwalla bath salts or body washes between now and December 31st. If you'd like to get in on the action, please consider adopting
a turkey of your very own!
Want to learn more about turkeys? Go here
and read thirty fascinating facts.
Featured Product: Restorative Face Serum
Soapwalla’s Restorative Face Serum is a seasonal must-have for protecting and repairing delicate skin. During the fall and winter months, our skin – particularly our faces and necks -- need a moisturizer that not only shields us from harsh elements (think blustery winds, biting cold, and hot dry air from heaters), but also keeps our most vulnerable organ supple and even-toned.
This face oil does it all: successfully fends off red chapping and evens skintone. Supports and strengthens skin cell development. Locks out harmful, deteriorating oxidation. Absorbs effortlessly and easily. Even calms flyaway static-mussed hair! And is so gentle it can be reapplied as needed. Give it a try and report back. I'm sure you'll agree it's the best miracle-in-a-bottle ever to arrive in your mailbox!
Soapwalla around Town
Where in the world is Soapwalla these days?
- Yoga Beauty Bar: Please join Soapwalla and other gorgeous beauty brands at the Pure Yoga East Holiday Yoga Beauty Bar Pop-up Shop in Manhattan Nov. 20 from 12pm-6pm. Complementary FIGURE 4 Class, luxury gift bags, and an organic beauty conversation with Melisse Gelula of Well + Good NYC and Siobhan O'Connor of No More Dirty Looks! RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Essential Oil Basics: I'll be teaching a class on the basics of essential oils at Elemental Healing in Brooklyn Dec. 3rd at 4pm. It'll be hands on and a must for anyone wanting to create a natural first aid kit to get them through the winter flu-free.
- PS 321 Holiday Shop: Soapwalla is celebrating in style at this year's PS 321 Holiday Shop in Park Slope on Dec. 10th from 10am-4pm. Swing by - this is not a market you'll want to miss!
Recipe: Replenishing Papaya Facial Scrub
As the weather gets colder, our skin becomes drier and flakier. The key is to keep ourselves hydrated while gently sloughing off dead skin that can cause a host of problems.
- 2 tsp oat flour
- 1/2 cup fresh papaya, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp honey (vegetable glycerin if vegan)
- 2 drops rose geranium essential oil
Puree papaya in food processor or blender until smooth. Mix in honey or glycerin and essential oil, and enough oat flour to make thick but spreadable mask.
Cleanse face and neck with warm water, and smooth mask onto skin. Relax for 15 minutes, then remove mask with warm water. Follow with your usual moisturizing regimen.
Want to reuse your bottles or jars? Here are some clever ideas from customers:
- Store jewelry in empty deodorant containers
- In fact they are watertight and after washing them out you can use them to bring salad dressing to work with you
- Luxurious body oil bottles make a perfect bud vase
- Bath salts containers are great for storing craft supplies (think beads, fabric pieces, buttons) and kitchen bulk items (grains, rice, beans)
- Or create your own salts or body scrub and regift for the holidays!
Note: please thoroughly wash and dry all Soapwalla containers twice before using for food storage, to eliminate any essential oil residue.
Soapwalla was born in my apartment kitchen one evening, after months of unsuccessfully hunting for face and body products that wouldn’t aggravate my sensitive skin issues caused by lupus (a chronic inflammatory autoimmune illness). Soapwalla organic face and body products are specifically designed to cleanse with natural ingredients without stripping the oils that our skin naturally produces, which is essential for optimum skin health. Soapwalla uses organic and food-grade ingredients, never questionable additives such as sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens or harsh and synthetic ingredients. Soapwalla products are vegan, locally and personally produced by me and absolutely never ever tested on animals.
Feed Your Skin.
Rachel Winard, Soapwalla Chef