There are several items on the agenda that do matter but all the attention will be focused on the first public hearing concerning lake level. The decision for the May 10th meeting is whether to construct the dam at this time. Should the decision be to delay the construction water would not begin to be impounded until mid June. The structure would normally have been in place since April 15th
; to date we have received enough precipitation to keep the lake at its proper depth. Please come to the meeting to voice your opinion and convince the DLWID board to install the dam immediately in accordance with their current policy of a lake height of 9.53 feet.
We cannot with certainty say what the District’s recommendation is for the ongoing operation of the dam, because none of their documents have expressed a specific recommendation. Several reviewers feel that based on staff’s report and presentation complete removal of the structure is under consideration. This would lower the lake a full 15” to 8.3’ from the current lake level for the entire summer season. That is based on average summer levels prior to the dam; who knows how low it could go if this is a dry year. In the face of serious opposition, it is possible that the District will attempt a last minute maneuver to lower the lake from 9.53’ to 9.0’ dropping to 8.5’ in late summer when inflows must match outflows. We must discourage that alternative as well.
Please attend the meeting, make your voice heard. Ask the Board to make the decision in the first meeting a second meeting is not required to hear our requests to leave the current policy in place and install the dam immediately.