Australia’s disability human rights record to be scrutinised for the first time under the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
The Australian NGO delegation to the UN includes representatives from a number of Disabled Peoples Organisations and disability advocacy organisations.
- Damian Griffis, First Peoples Disability Network Australia (FPDN)
- Rosemary Kayess, Australian Centre for Disability Law (ACDL)
- Therese Sands, People with Disability Australia (PWDA)
- Brett Casey, Queenslanders with Disability Network (QDN)
- Carolyn Frohmader, Women With Disability Australia (WWDA)
- David Heckendorf, People with Disability Australian Capital Territory (PWD ACT)
- Judy Huett, Speak Out Tasmania
- Paul Cain, National Council on Intellectual Disability (NCID)
- Stephen Gianni, Australian Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO)
- Raja Relf, Physical Disability Australia (PDA)
This delegation will be providing information on the situation of people with disability in Australia, based on extensive consultation with people with disability across Australia. This information is contained in the NGO Report, Disability Rights Now
The meeting of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities will be held from 2 to 13 September 2013, with Australia appearing on 3 to 4 September.
Following its dialogue with the Australian Government delegation, the Committee on The Rights of Persons with Disabilities
will make its Concluding Observations or recommendations to the Australian Government on the steps it should take to ensure the rights of people with disability are respected, protected and fulfilled.
MEDIA CONTACT: Sara Irvine
Text message: +61402982002
Twitter: @sarairvine and #DisabilityRightsUN